- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp oil
- 0.5 tsp mustard seeds
- 0.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 0.25 inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 can plum tomatoes (7 oz)
- 0.5 tsp turmeric powder
- 0.5 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small bunch cilantro (0.5 oz), chopped to serve
- Heat the oil on medium heat, then add the mustard and cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the ginger and green chili, then stir for 1–2 minutes.
- Mix in the tomatoes, crushing them, and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining powders, add the potatoes with 1/2 cup of warm water, then cover for 12–15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked. Stir occasionally and spear with a knife to see if it slides off easily.
- Taste and adjust salt, sugar, or chili powder. Sprinkle cilantro and serve.
Part of #Recipes.
From Meera Sodha's Made in India.