- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- optional: 20 fresh curry leaves
- 2 large red onions, finely sliced
- 2-inch ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 lb 2 oz ripe medium tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- 1.5 tsp cumin powder
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
- 0.5 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 0.75 tsp chili powder
- 1.25 tsp salt
- Heat the oil on medium heat, then add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the seeds pop, mix in the onions, ginger, garlic, and fry for 8–10 minutes until the onions are soft and turning golden-brown.
- Add the tomatoes and fry for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the spices, stir, and cook for a minute or two until the sauce is brick red and thick. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Part of #Recipes.
From Meera Sodha's Made in India.