- 28 oz cooked chickpeas (2 cans), rinsed and drained
- 1.25 inch ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 can plum tomatoes (14oz)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 0.75 tsp cumin powder
- 0.5 tsp chili powder
- 0.25 tsp turmeric
- (Soak 7 oz dry chick peas in cold water with 1 teaspoon baking soda for at least 6 hours, then rinse, drain, and cover with water to boil for 30-45 minutes until soft.)
- Heat the oil on medium heat and add the onions, then cook for 10 minutes stirring frequently until golden brown.
- Bash the ginger, garlic, chili, salt into a paste.
- Stir in the paste, tomatoes (crushing them), tomato paste, then cook for 8-10 minutes until thick.
- Add the garam masala, salt, cumin, chili powder, turmeric and cook for a few minutes, then add the chickpeas and check the consistency. Thin the sauce if necessary by adding 5 or more spoons of water, then stir and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust any seasoning as you like.
- Serve with chapatis or naan.
Part of #Recipes.
From Meera Sodha's Made in India.