- 2-inch ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped and optionally seeded
- a pinch salt
- 3 tbsp coconut or canola oil
- optional: 20 fresh curry leaves
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 big ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 0.75 tsp turmeric powder
- 0.5 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup and 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 4 fillets (5-6.5 oz each) firm white fish (hake, pollack, haddock, cod), skinned
- 1 lime, quartered
- Bash the ginger, garlic, chili, and salt into a paste.
- Heat the oil on medium heat, add the curry leaves and onions, then stir regularly for 8–10 minutes until pale gold. Add the bashed paste and cook for 2–3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and spices, cover and cook for a few minutes.
- Dilute the milk with 0.5 cup of water and stir in. When the milk bubbles, add the fish, lower the heat a little, and cook covered for 5–7 minutes until the fish is cooked.
- Serve with a big squeeze of lime.
Part of #Recipes.
From Meera Sodha's Made in India.