- 8 oz red lentils
- 2 tbsp oil
- optional: 12 peppercorns
- optional: 4 cloves
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2.5 inch ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 0.5 tsp chili powder
- 0.5 tsp coriander powder
- 0.5 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 11 oz canned plum tomatoes
- Rinse the lentils until the water runs clear and drain. Bring to a boil over high heat with 2.5 cups of water then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes without stirring until thoroughly cooked.
- Heat the oil on medium heat and add the optional ingredients, stirring until there is a smell, then add the onion and cook for 8 to 10 minutes until golden.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 4 minutes, then stir in the powders. Mix in the tomatoes and break them up, lower the heat and simmer for around 8 minutes.
- Add the lentils with a straining spoon and gradually adjust the consistency with remaining liquid. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt, chili, or consistency and serve with chapatis, yogurt, and garlic pickle.
Part of #Recipes.
From Meera Sodha's Made in India.