- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 2 tbsp water, hot not boiling
- 3 lb chicken thighs and drumsticks, with bone and skin
- ½ lb potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup lemon juice, from 4 to 6 lemons
- ½ tsp whole black peppercorns (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350ºF or 180ºC. Bash the saffron into a powder, combine with the water, set aside.
- Cut the potatoes into 1-inch pieces and place it in a 9-by-13-inch roasting pan, then drizzle with the oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Mix the lemon juice and saffron water, then pour over the pan to coat. Arrange the chicken skin-side down, sprinkle evenly with peppercorns if using, then cover tightly with foil and cook until the meat is tender and easily pulled from the bone and the potatoes are soft, about 90 minutes.
- During the last 15 minutes, remove the foil, flip the chicken, stir the potatoes and cook uncovered to reduce some of the liquid.
Part of #Recipes.
From NYT Cooking.