- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- variation: 1 potato, cubed
- 1.5 lb cabbage, finely? shredded
- 0.25 cup warm water
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 0.75 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- variation: 1 handful freshly grated coconut
- Heat the oil on medium heat and add the mustard seeds. When they pop, add the onion and fry for 6-8 minutes until soft. Mix the potatoes if using.
- Add the cabbage and a quarter cup of warm water, then stir, close the lid, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, salt, cumin, chili powder, tomato paste, then stir, close, and cook for another 6-8 minutes until soft with little crunch. Add the coconut if using.
- Serve with chapatis and yogurt.
Part of #Recipes.
From Meera Sodha's Made in India.